Dear Teachers, Administrators and Staff,
As we close out the 2017 school year, I want to thank you for the role you play each day in supporting the students of the Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools. Your leadership and commitment to our students and the entire school district is exemplary and inspires excellence in us all.
The outcome of your hard work and support is a year of tremendous accomplishments of which we can all be proud. Here are a few of those standout achievements showcasing why KCKPS is quite simply the best:
- Passage of a $235 million bond –This is a tremendous vote of confidence for the work you are doing everyday by our community.
- Sumner Academy is No. 1 in Kansas on the Washington Post’s List of Top High Schools in America
- Frances Willard Named a Dav Pilkey Summer Reading Educator Contest Winner
- 64 high school students selected as KC Scholars ($10,000 a year renewable for 5 years in college scholarships!)
- 283 Students were celebrated in the Superintendent’s Honor Roll for academic excellence
- 230+ students in 4th & 5th grade received a certificate of excellence for Young Leaders of Tomorrow participation
- Numerous business and industry leaders are investing in Diploma+ by serving on the Steering Committee, and/or Academy Advisory Boards
- Total scholarships earned by our graduates exceeds $80 million!
- Eli Jones and Angelica Soto were named KCKPS 2017 Teachers of the Year
- Jodi Lin was named KMEA’s Honored Administrator for 2017
- Parents As Teachers served 385 infants and toddlers and their families, andLauren Ware was named National Parent Educator of the Year
- USA Football, partnered with ESPN to provide training to our coaches and support our high school teams
- William Brame was named Debate Coach of the Year by Debate KC
- Schlagle Men’s and Women’s Basketball Team won league and regional competitions, and competed valiantly in State 5A tournaments
- Harmon’s Robotics Team placed 7th in FIRST Robotics, and competed in the World competition
For all the reasons listed above and so much more, the school district is fortunate to have each of you as part of our team. I know the year has not been easy. I also know that the lives of our young people have been forever changed for the positive because of the great work of the entire KCKPS team.
Please find time this summer to rest, relax, and take care of you and your families. You have given it your all and for that I am truly grateful. I look forward to seeing each and every one of you in August as we continue to “Inspire Excellence: Every Grownup, Every Child, Every Day!”
Dr. Cynthia Lane